Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quick Fitness Instructor Update

For those of you wondering how the 24 Hour Fitness Group Exercise Instructor training is coming along, I thought I'd write a quick blog to let ya know.  This past Sunday, I completed the quiz and my practical (in which I had to demonstrate the T-Bar Row in front of the class to music, and I was critiqued on that by my regional managers).  I got a great review on my practical and am now certified to teach Resistance Classes at 24 Hour Fitness!  

All that's left now is the actual audition/interview.  During this phase, I will actually have to teach a 20-minute portion of one of the classes that I am certified to teach- which will be SET (Strength Endurance Training) and Lift (a muscle-toning strength class)- in front of the managers.  I will then answer some interview questions, take another quiz, and that would be the point at which they decide to hire me or not.

My audition is scheduled for November 16th at 1 p.m.  I know- seems kinda far away right?  Well, by the time I had e-mailed the area manager to try to get in on the 18th of October, all of the slots were already full!  And I had only waited one day.  The next day available after that was on Tuesday the 28th of October, but it was from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.- at which time I am at work.  So November 16th was the next available day I could do it.  Which is fine with me.  It gives me that much longer to prepare, get music, and practice with an instructor up at 24 Hour with whom I've made friends.  

Assuming I get hired that day, I would then be able to pick up any Resistance classes that become available on their boards at any club in the area that I am willing to drive to (which is a total of about six).  People need subs all the time, and there are even classes that don't even have permanent instructors yet.  If you get a lot of good feedback, you eventually get your own class.  

So, that's what's going on there!  I'm pretty excited because now that I've done my practical portion of training, I've seen that I actually can teach pretty confidently in front of a group!   And with the help that I'm receiving from my instructor friend, I should be good to go!  

So yeah... when I get a class, you should come.  Really.  Pressure's on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you gotta ask yourself punk, do i feel lucky....well knowing you my dear,you really don't have to ask that question....i hope you get a full time class and don't have to drive to far....your #1 supporter....dad